Defending Regional Champion AfterShocks Joined By Alumni Teams from Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and North Texas
The Basketball Tournament (TBT) – the $1 million, winner-take-all summer basketball event broadcast live on ESPN networks – today announced the bracket for this year’s tournament.
AfterShocks, the WSU alumni team, will serve as the featured team for one of eight regionals, and welcome seven teams that will compete for the chance to advance. The games, which will take place July 22-25, will be played at Charles Koch Arena, on the campus of Wichita State University.
Koch Arena will also host a 2022 TBT Quarterfinals game for the first time, pitting the Wichita Regional champion against the Omaha Regional Champion on July 27. The winner of the quarterfinals matchup will advance to UD Arena Dayton, Ohio, for the semifinals on July 30, and the $1 million winner-take-all championship game on Aug. 2.
AfterShocks, the top seed in the Wichita Regional, are once again organized by Zach Bush (2013-17), J.R. Simon (2013-17), and Garrett Stutz (2008-12). Bush will serve as the team’s head coach, and Stutz, Simon, and Clevin Hannah (2014-18) will serve as the team’s assistants. Their current roster includes:
- Shaquille Morris (2013-18)
- Rashard Kelly (2014-18)
- Zach Bush (2014-18)
- Conner Frankamp (2015-18)
- Markis McDuffie (2015-19)
- Darral Willis (2016-18)
- Samaje Haynes-Jones (2017-19)
- Tyrus McGee (Iowa State)
- James Woodard (Tulsa)
- James Dickey (UNC-Greensboro)
The #1 seed AfterShocks will take on the #8 seed D3 in the team’s first-round game on Friday, July 22 at 8 pm CT. If AfterShocks advances to the second round, they will face the winner of the #4 seed Stillwater Stars (Oklahoma State alumni) and #5 seed Air Raiders (Texas Tech alumni) Saturday, July 23 at 7 pm CT. If the AfterShocks advance past the second round, they’ll play in the Wichita Regional championship game Monday, July 25 at 8 pm CT.
The quarterfinals game in Wichita is slated for Wednesday, July 27, at 7 pm CT.
Other teams slated to compete in the Wichita Regional include longtime TBT participant Purple & Black, the Kansas State alumni team whose 2022 roster features Jacob Pullen, Henry Walker, Kamau Stokes, and Jordan Henriquez. Air Raiders, a first-year Texas Tech alumni team, features several players from the 2019 NCAA Tournament Runner-up team, including Zhaire Smith, Matt Mooney, Tariq Owens, and Norense Odiase. Stillwater Stars, the Oklahoma State alumni team, returns to Koch Arena after a stunning 23-point come-from-behind victory in their 2021 first round game against The Enchantment.
The rest of the region includes #2 seed Eberlein Drive, the top seed in the 2021 Wichita Regional, #7 seed Bleed Green, a North Texas alumni team, and the #6 seed Lone Star Legends.
The full TBT 2022 schedule is as follows:
Game information for the Wichita Regional and Quarterfinals is as follows:
- G1 - Friday, July 22 – 1 pm Central – (2) Eberlein Drive vs. (7) Bleed Green (North Texas)
- G2 - Friday, July 22 – 3 pm Central – (4) Stillwater Stars (Oklahoma State) vs. (5) Air Raiders (Texas Tech)
- G3 - Friday, July 22 – 6 pm Central – (3) Purple & Black (Kansas State) vs. (6) Lone Star Legends
- G4 - Friday, July 22 – 8 pm Central – (1) AfterShocks (Wichita State) vs. (8) We Are D3
- G5 - Saturday, July 23 – 5 pm Central – Eberlein Drive/Bleed Green vs. Purple & Black/Lone Star Legends
- G6 - Saturday, July 23 – 7 pm Central – Stillwater Stars/Air Raiders vs. AfterShocks/D3
Wichita Regional Championship
- G7 - Monday, July 25 - 8 pm Central - Winner of Game 5 vs. Game 6
- G8 - Wednesday, July 27 - 7 pm Central - Winner of Wichita Regional vs. Omaha Regional
# # #