Treat yourself to a Wichita getaway over the long Labor Day weekend! You won’t have to work hard (see what we did there?) to find plenty to do while you’re here.
You can always check the event calendar for specific dates, or look at the list we’ve compiled below for 10 fun things to do in Wichita over Labor Day weekend, happening Aug. 30 through Sept. 2.
1. Close out the swim season at Splash Aqua Park for a fun day of inflatables, or grab a team and enter the First Annual Corn-Hole Tournament for your chance at a $1,000 top prize! The tournament happens Aug. 31.
2. Visit the majestic Keeper of the Plains in downtown Wichita. Sitting at the confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas rivers, this 44-foot tall sculpture pays homage to the Native American peoples who lived on the Plains. Catch the Ring of Fire, a sacred ceremony representing the connection between earth, air, water and fire happening nightly at 9 p.m. (weather permitting). While you’re there, learn more about Native culture at the Mid-America All-Indian Center.
3. Take the family to Old Cowtown Museum to learn how the Plains have changed over time. Experience living history while taking a peek at the many groups including Native Americans, settlers, trappers, traders and soldiers who once graced Wichita’s streets during the People of the Plains event on Aug. 31. Regular admission applies.
4. Enjoy a midday float along the Arkansas River with Kayak & SUP Rentals available on Saturdays through Aug. 31.
5. Explore Botanica Wichita’s 30+ themed gardens and catch Sean Kenney’s Nature Connects exhibit, showcasing art sculptures made from LEGO bricks. Also, make sure you visit the new Alexander Bee House to learn about why honeybees are so crucial to the homeostasis of the environment.
6. Cultivate your curiosity as you learn the “Science of Ripley’s Believe it or Not!” at Exploration Place. This traveling exhibit allows families to crawl through a gigantic prehistoric snake, measure up against the world’s tallest man, learn the science behind sword swallowing, explore the mystery of optical illusions and so much more!
7. Opt for a unique experience at Grace Hill Winery as the community comes together for the annual Public Grape Harvest. All the grapes at the vineyard is picked by volunteers each year. Sign up today and enjoy a complimentary lunch, tour of the vineyard and wine or fresh grape juice tasting experience.
8. Head out on “Petey’s Big Adventure” at Mosley Street Melodrama after someone steals Petey’s scooter. Join him and all his treehouse friends on a wacky trip to find it. This dinner theater experience is one-of-a-kind and is the only audience-participation theater in Wichita.
9. Need a laugh? Comedian is handing them out at The Loony Bin. Thomas is originally from Jamaica, and brings his personal accounts of relationship follies and issues from everyday life.
10. Experience the last Final Friday in Wichita before the monthly art excursion moves to the First Friday of each month. With local artists showcasing their talent and businesses staying open late, downtown Wichita comes alive in this cultural experience centered on the importance of art and community.
For more events happening over Labor Day weekend, explore our event calendar as you plan your trip to Wichita.