Do you ever get tired of the stereotypical dinner and a movie date night with your significant other? Spice things up a bit in Wichita, where you can create your own unique experience any time of year. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and if you’re looking to impress your sweetheart, here are eight spontaneous date ideas to keep the fun alive.
Fun & Games
Spend a relaxing evening at a quaint little coffee shop that doubles as one of the best board game cafes in the region – Sente: Games & Refreshments. With more than 200 games, you and your boo can play for just $5 a day. While you’re there, grab a delicious gourmet coffee or specialty drink while being entertained for hours. Meet up with friends, or have a friendly, intimate competition between just the two of you.
Battle it out on the pickleball court at one of Wichita’s newest hotspots, Chicken N Pickle. The new entertainment venue and restaurant concept offers indoor and outdoor fun with a delicious menu and huge drink selection. They've set up a temporary ice rink where visitors can try their hand at curling, ice hockey, or join an open skate.
For multi-player fun and delicious food, take your special someone to the newly opened Dave & Buster's. With hundreds of arcade games and a full menu of food and drinks, you and your significant other will have the time of your lives.
Experiment with your artsy side with several different cultural options in Wichita. From walking around the Wichita Art Museum or browsing a free gallery at Mark Arts or Wichita State University’s Ulrich Museum, learn a new appreciation for others’ artistic abilities.
You can also foster your own creativity at places like Board and Brush or Paint the Towne, a paint and drink studio offering regular classes. Learn from a professional and leave with your own masterpiece. Food and drinks are welcome. Adults BYOB.
Catch a Show
Opt for dinner and a show at Mosley Street Melodrama, Roxy's Downtown, or check the latest at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, for shows from Music Theatre Wichita, The American Theatre Guild, Wichita Grand Opera and Wichita Symphony Orchestra.
Hit the Bullseye
Maybe you’re ready to get a little rough and tumble on your date, if so, head to Blade & Timber where the competition heats up with axe throwing for you and your love. Rent a lane for just the two of you or make it a group date. Bring your own food, enjoy some cold beer and have a blast at this unique bar in Wichita. If guns are more your style, take your sweetie to Range 54, where you both can get in some target practice. The climate-controlled range is perfect any time of year for a fun, safe shooting experience.
Hunt for Hidden Treasures
Speaking of shopping, who doesn’t like a good bargain on some old items? Antique shopping is a popular activity and can serve as a unique date option. Head to Paramount Antique Mall or Generations Antiques & Artisans before your date to pick up the perfect gift for your significant other, or take them with you to hunt for hidden treasures. Make a game of it, and look for the most valuable item at the lowest price.
Learn to overcome challenges together at Bliss Climbing and Fitness, as the two of you scale a 38-foot top rope and lead climbing wall or 16-foot bouldering wall. Try your luck at novice or advanced routes. A day pass is $16 per person.
Going out with a group of friends? See how well you work together by trying your hand at one of several obstacles at The Room. Work against the clock by solving problems and decoding puzzles to try to escape the room. Each room has a different theme and a one-hour time limit. All rooms are private and tickets are $25 a person.
Feel Like a Kid Again
Take your darling to a place of fun and games at Exploration Place, where you’ll be able to partake in hands-on educational museum exhibits. Stop by Design Build Fly, where you get a behind-the-scenes look at the airplane manufacturing industry.
Catch a Ride
Hop on the brew wagon with Wichita’s only Brew Wagon Tours for a custom ride to no less than three local breweries. Each bus holds eight to 14 people and costs $100 per couple. Ask about private tour pricing for small groups. You must be 21 years old with a valid ID to participate.
What is Valentine’s Day without chocolate? If your sweetheart has a sweet tooth, make sure to stop by Cocoa Dolce Artisan Chocolates. Create your custom box of chocolates or try some delicious dessert wines while having a relaxing day at Wichita’s only chocolate lounge. The lounge also has other sweet treats like gelato and macarons.
If you are one for the more traditional date nights and still want to plan something sweet and romantic for your lover, Wichita has plenty of options for you as well. Check out our list of fine dining restaurants to find the perfect place to grab a bite to eat.
Progressive Dinner Ideas
When it comes to dinner, why not be unique and split up your courses? Visit many local Wichita restaurants and businesses in a progressive-dinner style.
Historic Delano District
- Start with coffee at Leslie Coffee Co.
- Enjoy dinner at Delano Barbecue Company
- Sample some local brews at Aero Plains Brewing
- Find your favorite bourbon at Monarch, home of the largest selection in Kansas
- Work your problem solving skills at The Room-Wichita
- Start with a coffee or specialty drink at Reverie Roasters Café at the Kiva
- Mix dinner with local brews at Sweet Allie B’s/Limestone Beer Co.
- Grab a milkshake at Old Mill Tasty Shop, open until 8 p.m. on Saturdays
- Enjoy craft cocktails at Cana Wine & Cocktails
- See a show at Roxy’s Downtown
- Grab some appetizers at Fredo’s
- Order some pizza and beer at Old Chicago
- Hit a tasting room at Wichita's newest Winery, Jenny Dawn Cellars
- Try one of more than 160 martini flavors at Mort’s Martini & Cigar Bar
- End the night with laughs at The Loony Bin
- Start your night with a few drinks at Wine Dive
- Head to Clifton Square for dinner at Ziggy’s Pizza
- Grab ice cream or coffee at College Hill Creamery & Coffee Bar
- Sample local beer and other favorites at Dempsey’s Burger Pub
- End your night at Paint the Towne (by appointment only)
Douglas Design District
- Meet up with your sweet heart at Central Standard Brewing for an awesome selection of local beer
- Head to Piatto Neapolitan Pizzeria for authentic Italian oven-fired pizza
- Have dessert at Reverie Roasters/Founders Bakery
- Stop by Hopping Gnome Brewing Company for drinks and ask for a tour of the brewery
- Take a mural tour before it gets dark and see how many you can find with the Avenue Art Days Mural Map app
- Start the night off with some hummus at Bella Luna Café – Northeast
- Have dinner at Deano’s Grill & Tapworks
- Head to Churn & Burn for a delicious dessert for ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen
- Grab something to drink at Wichita Brewing Company & Pizzeria – East
- Take your date to Bliss Climbing & Fitness and take on the giant indoor rock wall
- Check out the wine wall at Chisholm’s American Beef & Ale House
- For dinner, opt for barbecue at Two Brother BBQ – West
- Pick up a concrete or other specialty dessert at Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers
- Enjoy local craft beer at Augustino Brewing Company
- Get competitive with games at All Star Sports’ arcade or hit the go-karts or batting cages (seasonal)