Wichita loves to host sporting events. Not only does the city boast top-notch facilities like INTRUST Bank Arena, Stryker Sports Complex and more, but there is fun to be found in every nook and cranny of the city. No matter where your sporting event is being held, you’ll find lots of places to explore nearby.
If you’re planning to attend the National Wheelchair Basketball Association’s 2023 Junior and Adult National Championship Series at Wichita Hoops and are staying in a Wichita area hotel, this guide will help you find things to do and places to eat in the area.
Just a short drive from Wichita Hoops is Greenwich Place, a dining and shopping hot spot with several entertainment complexes, including Wichita Sports Forum, Dave & Buster’s and recently-opened Topgolf Wichita. The area has popular eateries such as Saltgrass Steak House and Panera Bread plus big-name retailers like REI, Duluth Trading Company, World Market and more. See what you can do:
- Newly opened Topgolf Wichita offers climate-controlled hitting bays for you and your family to take aim and swing at outfield targets. Plus, the entertainment venue has TVs throughout for a sports bar atmosphere.
- Sticks 96 Golf provides full-service golf club repair, sells a variety of golf equipment and offers golf instruction.
- A family-friendly experience loaded with interactive play, Dave & Buster’s has virtual reality favorites and 200 of the biggest, newest and best arcade games.
- Scale a 38-foot top-rope and lead climbing wall or a 16-foot bouldering wall at Bliss Climbing & Fitness.
- See fish swimming in the aquarium and find outdoor equipment, clothing and more at Cabela’s.
- Wichita Sports Forum offers leagues, classes, camps and open play on indoor fields and courts across a variety of sports. You’ll also find an indoor trampoline park, Aviate.
Also nearby is Bradley Fair, which is home to a variety of upscale shopping and dining options. From big name brands like Gap and Athleta to a plethora of local shops, you can shop for hours at Bradley Fair.
The area also offers plenty of dining options like First Mile Kitchen, Redrock Canyon Grill, Bella Luna Café, HomeGrown Wichita, Newport Grill, YaYa’s Eurobistro and more. A great grab-and-go option is Everyday Elderslie, a temporary pop-up eatery serving farm-to-table goodies and healthy packaged food options.
For gourmet sweet treats, stop by Bakesale Treat Parlor or Cocoa Dolce Chocolates, featuring all things chocolate and a cozy atmosphere.
After you've visited the many shops at Bradley Fair, peruse goods at one of these unique local shops in the area:
- Infinity Art Glass: unique, handmade glass products
- Karg Art Glass: glass, mosaics, pottery, jewelry, kaleidoscopes, metal and wood items created by more than 100 local and regional artists
- Paramount East Antique Mall: antiques, vintage, furniture, glassware, primitives, industrial, farmhouse décor and more
- Pedego Wichita: Kansas’ only dealer for Pedego Electric Bikes
- The Popcorner: delicious selection of popcorn flavors plus fudge, chocolate-covered pretzels and more
- Twister City Harley-Davidson: motorcycles and motorcycle gear
Additional shopping options include Revolutsia and Towne East Square. Each are accessible by car and within a 20-minute drive of Wichita Hoops.
Northeast Wichita is chock full of restaurants. You can find upscale dining at favorites like Chester's Chophouse and Wine Bar and Dōma and plenty of family-friendly restaurants:
- At Chicken N Pickle, you can play pickleball, bocce ball, shuffleboard or table tennis while enjoy delicious chicken fare.
- Find all of your Mexican favorites like enchiladas and fajitas at Carlos O’ Kelly’s Mexican Café.
- Not only will you like the 23 big screen televisions, you’ll love the flavorful, fresh food at Deano’s Grill & Tapworks.
- Families rave about the great tasting burgers and craft root beer and soda at Fizz Burgers & Bottles.
- Find breakfast all day long and drinks made from old-fashion soda fountains at Jimmie’s Diner.
- Meddys Northeast specializes in fresh, made-to-order, authentic Mediterranean options and also has a great kids menu with traditional fare.
- Whether you choose to sit in one of the large, colorful booths or the old-fashioned trolley car, you’ll love the Italian fare at The Old Spaghetti Factory.
- Find mouthwatering pizza, sandwiches, salads and sides at Ziggy’s Pizza.
- Looking for barbecue while you’re in the Heart of the Country? Find it at Hog Wild Pit Bar-B-Q (East, Northeast and North) or Two Brothers BBQ.
Not in Wichita, but just 10 minutes east of Wichita Hoops is Stearman Field Bar & Grill, a bar and grill located at a private airport. You can grab a table indoors or dine on the open-air patio, located just feet from the runway where planes land and take off. There’s even a playground near the patio for kids to play.
From indoor rock climbing to hundreds of video games, there are a ton of fun activities to enjoy when you’re in between competitions at the arena.
- Choose from a variety of classes and workshops at Mark Arts, including ceramics, culinary, dance, digital arts, drawing, jewelry/metalsmithing, painting and more.
- Experience awesome indoor arcades along with other indoor activities ranging from go-karts and billiards at All Star Adventures and The Alley Indoor Entertainment.
- Go bowling at Northrock Lanes, West Acres Bowl and The Alley Indoor Entertainment.
- Rainier Arms Firearms Academy is Wichita’s largest gun range with 27,000 square feet.
- Explore the indoor museum at Great Plains Nature Center to learn about Kansas wildlife and native habitats. Just outside the doors of the museum is an easy trail to tackle at Chisholm Creek Park.
- Unwind at Bohemia Healing Spa, which specializes in therapeutic massage, facials, waxing, indulgent health wraps and men’s services, or get a pedicure at one of the nail bars in the area.
- If your group is all 21+, you’ll enjoy Headshots Bar & Grill and their more than 1,000 video games and 500 board games.
Still needing more options? Wichita area is home to 20+ museums, many of which are located downtown, but you will also find several in east Wichita. This guide on indoor family fun has even more ideas of things to do. You’ll also find more than 1,200 eateries and a variety of breweries, taprooms and wineries throughout the city.