With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, don’t settle for the typical dinner and a movie cop out for date night. Instead, try something off this list of unique ideas for an unforgettable date night in Wichita.
Artsy & Creative
Feeling creative? Try your hand at painting, sculpting or pottery by taking a class at Mark Arts. Enroll in a cooking class and learn to make something spectacular for your partner, or pair up and take the class together. If you’d rather enjoy the arts, opt for dinner and a show at Mosley Street Melodrama or check the latest at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, for shows from Music Theatre Wichita, The American Theatre Guild, Wichita Grand Opera and Wichita Symphony Orchestra.
Experience Wichita’s vibrant nightlife in a unique way by reserving a spot with Brew Wagon Tours. You and your sweetheart will get to travel to at least three breweries for four signature drinks, or you can drink on the bus. When you’re done, walk around Old Town and downtown Wichita and explore some of the other local breweries Wichita has to offer, including the newest one, The PourHouse.
If you and your mate are brave, there are a couple options for the daredevil couple in Wichita. Head to Air Capital Drop Zone and go skydiving, or schedule a not-so-scary helicopter ride with DWTA Helicopters, to see the city of love from above.
Beat the evening rush to many local restaurants by starting your date earlier in the day with brunch at Dempsey’s Biscuit Co., Public at the Brickyard or Jimmie’s Diner North or South. Then, take your sweetheart to a local attraction like the Frank Lloyd Wright Allen House, any of the Museums on the River, The Keeper of the Plains or any one of Wichita’s other 34 museums. End your date by shopping local businesses or grabbing ice cream at one of the city’s sweet stops.
If you like playing games, Sente: Games & Refreshments creates the perfect group date environment. Pair up with your sweetheart, or battle it out girls versus boys with more than 200 tabletop games and delicious drinks. Gamers can also experience classic fun at The Arcade or play video games at Headshots Bar & Grill.
Hunt for Hidden Treasures
Speaking of shopping, who doesn’t like a good bargain on some old items? Antique shopping is a popular activity and can serve as a unique date option. Head to Paramount Antique Mall or Generations Antiques & Artisans before your date to pick up the perfect gift for your significant other, or take them with you to hunt for hidden treasures. Make a game of it, and look for the most valuable item at the lowest price.
Pamper your lover with a relaxing day at the spa. In the Historic Delano District, visit Bohemia Healing Spa. Opt for a couple’s massage or let your partner be treated while you go next door to buy him or her a unique gift for bath, body or home at Bungalow 26. If you’re on the east side, head to Healing Waters and then opt for an afternoon of shopping in Bradley Fair.
Rough & Tumble
Maybe you’re ready to get a little rough and tumble on your date, if so, head to Blade & Timber where the competition heats up with axe throwing for you and your love. Rent a lane for just the two of you or make it a group date. Bring your own food, enjoy some cold beer and have a blast at this unique bar in Wichita. If guns are more your style, take your sweetie to Range 54, where you both can get in some target practice. The climate-controlled range is perfect any time of year for a fun, safe shooting experience.
Progressive Dinner Ideas
When it comes to dinner, why not be unique and split up your courses? Visit many local Wichita restaurants and businesses in a progressive-dinner style. Here are some ideas no matter what part of town you’re in.
Historic Delano District
- Start with coffee at Leslie’s Coffee Co.
- Enjoy dinner at Monarch
- Grab something sweet at Milkfloat
- Sample some local brew flavors at Aero Plains Brewing
- Work your problem solving skills at The Room-Wichita
- Start with a coffee or specialty drink at Reverie Roasters Café at the Kiva
- Mix dinner with local brews at Sweet Allie B’s/Limestone Beer Co.
- Grab a milkshake at Old Mill Tasty Shop, open until 8 p.m. on Saturdays
- Enjoy craft cocktails at Vorshay’s Cocktail Lounge
- See a show at Roxy’s Downtown
- Grab some appetizers at Fredo’s
- Order some pizza and beer at Old Chicago
- Try authentic Thai rolled ice cream at 8 Below Rolled Ice Cream
- Taste one of more than 160 martini flavors at Mort’s Martini & Cigar Bar
- End the night with laughs at The Loony Bin
- Start your night with a few drinks at Wine Dive
- Head to Clifton Square for dinner at Ziggy’s Pizza
- Grab ice cream or coffee at College Hill Creamery & Coffee Bar
- Sample local beer and other favorites at Dempsey’s Burger Pub
- End your night at Wichita Room Escape or Paint the Towne (by appointment only)
Douglas Design District
- Meet up with your sweet heart at Central Standard Brewing for an awesome selection of local beer
- Head to Piatto Neapolitan Pizzeria for authentic Italian oven-fired pizza
- Have dessert at Reverie Roasters/Founders Bakery
- Stop by Hopping Gnome Brewing Company for drinks and ask for a tour of the brewery
- Take a mural tour before it gets dark and see how many you can find with the Avenue Art Days Mural Map app
- Start the night off with some hummus at Bella Luna Café – Northeast
- Have dinner at Deano’s Grill & Tapworks
- Head to Churn & Burn for a delicious dessert for ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen
- Grab something to drink at Wichita Brewing Company & Pizzeria – East
- Take your date to Bliss Climbing & Fitness and take on the giant indoor rock wall
- Check out the wine wall at Chisholm’s American Beef & Ale House
- For dinner, opt for barbecue at Two Brother BBQ – West
- Pick up a concrete or other specialty dessert at Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers
- Enjoy local craft beer at Augustino Brewing Company
- Get competitive with games at All Star Sports’ arcade or hit the go-karts or batting cages (seasonal)
If you are more traditional and want some regular date ideas, check out the list we compiled. If you’re planning for Valentine’s Day, be sure to read our complete Valentine’s Day planning guide. You can also check out our calendar of events to see specific events happening during your trip to Wichita.