The Riordan Center (Formerly known as The Center for the Improvement of Human Functioning and The Bright Spot for Health)
Some of the world's most fascinating research takes place at The Center. Patients come here from all over the world to find answers to health problems other means have not been able to answer. The main focus here is nutrition through individualized treatments. Not only is the work here cutting edge, the look of the facility is unusual - 8 geodesic domes and a pyramid. The center is open Mondays through Fridays, by appointment only. The tours take about 1 hour.
The WATER Center
"A river is more than an amenity....it is a treasure."....Oliver Wendell Holmes.
Decades of industrial and commercial activities played a major role in the groundwater contamination under downtown Wichita. Discovered in the late 1980's, the impacted site was dubbed the Gilbert and Mosley Project. Faced with complex public health and economic crises, the City of Wichita took the lead in investigating and cleaning up the 3,850-acre site. The resulting groundwater treatment system is the WATER Center (Wichita Area Treatment, Education, and Remediation Center). The WATER Center offers many opportunities to learn about water, conservation, aquatic wildlife and pollution prevention. Plus, situated in one of Wichita' public parks, it's a pleasure just to watch nature and hear the sounds of fountains and pools of water.
Wichita Scottish Rite Consistory Center
Many Wichitans think that The Wichita Scottish Rite is "The best-kept secret in town." Designed by famous architects Proudfoot & Bird, this magnificent native stone structure was built in about 1887. Several additions were added later. The Wichita Scottish Rite Masonic Center was included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and named one of the six Historical Landmarks in Wichita. It houses a 700-seat auditorium which features painted backdrops which rival Broadway theatres and a collection of costumes which are the envy of many theatre groups. A 450-seat dining hall features a grand staircase.
Nifty Nut House
Family owned since 1937. Over 500 items - nuts of all kinds, raw and roasted; milk and dark chocolates, sugar-free candies, dried fruits in bulk and packaged. Numerous clerks are available to weigh purchases and answer questions.
Coleman Factory Outlet & Museum
"The greatest name in the great outdoors" - Coleman's camping equipment at factory outlet pricing. A small museum of vintage Coleman products is housed in one area of the store.