Sports Sales Manager
Are you ready to take the next, best step in your career?
Would you like to join a team of excited, dedicated, incredibly talented professionals?
You’ve found your opportunity - Visit Wichita is looking for a new Sports Sales Manager to join our expert team!
A little about you…
As our Sports Sales Manager, you’ll have the opportunity to promote Wichita to sports planners around the country. You love looking for sporting events that would be perfect to host in Wichita. You enjoy traveling and attending appointment-based trade shows where you’ll meet with sports event planners and share all the wonderful things about Wichita. You thrive in working with sports partners throughout Wichita to find the perfect facility and opportunity to host sporting events in Wichita. You enjoy both time in the office prospecting potential events as well as speaking to organizations and meeting with individuals to uncover potential new business opportunities. You are a team player and have a passion for Wichita. You are goal oriented and have a proven track record of success.
If you have a passion for sports and enjoy discovering opportunities to bring more sporting events to Wichita, are a creative problem solver and love the city of Wichita, you want to work with us.
A little about us…
Visit Wichita is a nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing visitors to Wichita. Our mission is to show the world just how great Wichita is, to bring visitors to our city, and ultimately to create jobs and make Wichita an even better place to be. We love what we do, and we are great at it. If you’d like to learn more about us, explore more of our website.
Responsible for promoting Wichita as an event site for sports associations and entities, thereby enhancing the economic development of the City, County, Region and State. Working knowledge of Wichita’s sports venues and facilities preferred.
- Execute sports sales strategy, ultimately attracting new sporting events to Wichita.
- Build relationships with key industry and local sporting event planners.
- Review requirements, needs and budgets in RFPs of potential sporting events and determine if Wichita is a possible host.
- Determine who is or might be influential in motivating the Executive Director, Board of Directors, or others in selecting Wichita as a destination. Contacts influential members of the organization by telephone, letter, and/or personal visit as appropriate. Prepares bid packets of information for decision makers.
- Call on community leaders to use their influence in promoting Wichita as a site. Secures and extends letters of invitation from leaders in the public and private sectors or the city, county, state, and federal government.
- Arrange, when possible, to make a personal sales presentation before the decision-making group to encourage them to select Wichita as a destination.
- Encourage the visit of organization representatives for a site inspection tour of Wichita. Then prepares itineraries and conducts site tours of hotels, convention center, and local attractions.
- Send sales leads to hotels/motels advising them of dates and requirements of prospects who have expressed a genuine interest in the city.
- Prepare slide/video presentations as required by the site tour and/or bid presentation.
- Organize sales blitzes to cities where sports event associations and organizations are headquartered.
- Attend industry trade shows and conventions to represent and sell Wichita as a destination.
- Maintain a well-informed, working knowledge of all facilities, attractions and services, both private and public, available in the area to customers and acts as liaison between these entities and the customer.
- Work closely with the VP of Sports Development and the Sports Event Manager to evaluate event RIO and resources needed to successfully host the event.
- Assist Event Manager execute sporting events on site as needed.
- Attend hosted events to ensure event is running smoothly and to ensure repeat business.
- Attend sports meetings as required, while always keeping the VP of Sports Development informed as to the status of various prospects and booking activity.
- Promote good will toward the Bureau among members, area hotels and motels, the community at large and fellow staff members.
- Complete and submit on a timely basis appropriate reports as assigned.
- Work in a cohesive manner with other Bureau personnel to ensure a unified and effective promotional effort.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VP of Sports Development or President/CEO.
Education and Experience:
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
- At least 5 years of sports selling/marketing, management and/or travel related experience or closely related field to include at least four (4) years in an event management, bid development or sports marketing leadership role.
Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to speak and deliver effective presentations.
- Team orientation and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of associates and clients.
- Planning skills – ability to set direction, establish priorities and action plans and reconcile multiple/conflicting priorities.
- Ability to promote opportunities to increase revenue.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and an insured vehicle for periodic business use.
To apply for this role, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.