Wichita Film Commission
Film In and Around Wichita!
The Wichita Film Commission is a division of Visit Wichita. As a member of the Association of Film Commissioners International, we are here to assist with questions or needs prior to or during filming. To request a list of Wichita film resources, or if you have any questions, please contact us at 800.288.9424 or email@example.com.
Why Film in Wichita?
- The topography is varied and the horizons are vast
- The community is supportive and the people are kind
- Kansas is a right-to-work state with hard-working crew and cast
- Ease of transportation from one location to the next
- All seasons for all settings
- America's centralized melting pot of food, fun and folks
- Historical reenactors with authentic handmade apparel and props
- All things city life to down home country living-from urbanites to cowgirls
- Plus, Wichita is an affordable destination!
Where to Film in Wichita:
- Urban, downtown districts
- Arkansas River runs through downtown
- Flint Hills (just Northeast of Wichita)
- Old Cowtown Museum, which resembles a late-1800s Cowtown
- Any of Wichita’s 140+ parks
Wichita Film Permits
In the state of Kansas, no state permits required. In the City of Wichita, no permits are required. However, we recommend that you check with surrounding communities departments of safety or city hall for details on local ordinances. For those planning to use children, we recommend reviewing Kansas child labor laws.
Wichita Film Festival
We love Films! Every fall, Wichita hosts the Tallgrass Film Festival. Tallgrass showcases the best of independent cinema from around the globe, including documentary, narrative, world cinema, animation, LGBT, retrospective and premiering films. Rated as a "Top 10 Film Festival" by Livability.com and "The Best Under The Radar Film Festival" by Flavorwire, Tallgrass Film Festival fosters an appreciation of the cinematic arts by creating shared experiences around the medium of film.
Additional Resources When Filming in Wichita
- Visit Wichita
- Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport
- Wichita Hotel Accommodations
- Kansas driving conditions or call 511
- Public severe weather shelters by communities
- Public severe weather shelters by turnpike
- Kansas weather conditions
- Kansas Emergency Roadside Assistance Turnpike *KTA (*582)
- Kansas Emergency Roadside Assistance Highway Patrol *47