Director of Communications
July 29, 2010
For immediate release
Wichita wins competition for multiple conventions
(Wichita, Kan.) - Organizations representing interests ranging from securities regulation to quilting to high-energy physics have chosen Wichita as the location for future conventions.
The International Machine Quilters Association will hold its annual Machine Quilters Showcase in Wichita three years in a row starting in 2013, which typically draws about 1,000 attendees each year.
Other conventions choosing Wichita:
• Alpha Kappa Alpha Mid-Western Regional Conference in March 2011,
• International Association of Fire Chiefs Missouri Valley Division Annual Conference in July 2011,
• Kansas Association of Fire Chiefs 95th Annual Convention in October 2011, and
• North American Securities Administrators Association Annual Meeting in September 2011,
• BEACH 2012 Conference in July 2012. This is the 10th Biennial International Conference on Hyperon, Charm and Beauty Hadrons dealing with high-energy physics.
• American Fisheries Society North Central Division 73rd Midwest Fish and Wildlife Conference in December 2012
"This eclectic mix of organizations really demonstrates the flexibility that we have in Wichita for hosting any convention or conference," said John Rolfe, Go Wichita president and CEO. "These meetings appeal to people from Wall Street executives to hobbyists and from public safety officials to academicians from around the world."
Wichita competed against cities such as Detroit, Kansas City, Seattle and Omaha for the right to host these conferences. These conventions and conferences will bring approximately $4 million in direct revenue to the Wichita area.
Go Wichita worked closely with its hotel partners, meeting facilities planners and local host committee members to secure these conventions for the Wichita area.
# # #