Wondering what to do in Wichita during the winter months? You don’t have to stay cooped up when it’s cold, rainy or too dark to be outdoors. There are plenty of indoor things to do in Wichita, and we’ve put together this list of some of our favorite places for extreme family fun!
- Ax throwing is a perfect activity for friends and family, and Wichita has several spots that hit the mark: Axe to Grind, Blade & Timber and Kiss My Axe! Throwing. Before you go, it’s a good idea to do online research to be aware of any age restrictions that may exist. Plus, you can fill out waivers ahead of time to make your visit go smoothly.
- Blow off some steam at Let’s Smash, a smash house specifically designed for making as much of a mess as you want.
- Challenge your rock-climbing skills at Wichita’s only full-service indoor rock-climbing gym. Bliss Climbing and Fitness has a 38-foot top-rope and lead climbing wall, auto belays and a 16-foot bouldering wall.
- Sport shooting enthusiasts and those looking to try a new hobby or learn some self-defense methods, head out to the Range 54 indoor shooting facility. All shooters must be at least 10 years old and accompanied by an adult 21 or older. Sharpen your skills by completing a variety of drills and training opportunities at Rainier Firearm Academy. Find all the best tactical gear at 5.11 Tactical.
- Whether you’re in east or west Wichita, spend some time on the lanes. Northrock Lanes offers 48 lanes and West Acres Bowl has 36 lanes at its bowling complex.
- From figure skating to ice hockey, the Wichita Ice Center offers lessons, events and open skate sessions for all skill levels.
- Go-karts, laser tag, arcade fun and more: check out the variety of options at All Star Adventures on the east side of Wichita and All Star Sports in west Wichita.
- Bowl at one of 32 lanes or play a game of pool at The Alley Indoor Entertainment. With a family-friendly arcade, pool tables and a sports bar, this facility is your one-stop-shop for indoor family fun.
Fun & Games
- Get your heart pumping by playing pickleball on the indoor courts at Chicken N Pickle, or head to their game room to play ping pong.
- Play hundreds of arcade games at Dave & Buster’s. Is your team playing? Catch all the action on one of their many big screen televisions.
- If your family is all 21+, you’ll enjoy Headshots Bar & Grill and their more than 1,000 video games and 500 board games. Look for their themed seasonal pop-up bars throughout the year.
- Spend time exploring some of Wichita’s museums, which provide access to interactive exhibits, hands-on experiences and endless fun whether you’re interested in art, history, science or something else. For an educational journey, go down memory lane at The Original Pizza Hut Museum and learn about aviation at the Kansas Aviation Museum and B-29 Doc Hangar, Museum and Visitor’s Center.
- The massive sporting facility at Wichita Sports Forum offers courts for volleyball and basketball, sand volleyball courts, an indoor turf field for soccer and other sports, batting cages and an extreme indoor trampoline park, Aviate.
- Newly opened Topgolf Wichita offers climate-controlled hitting bays for you and your date to take aim and swing at outfield targets. Plus, the entertainment venue has TVs throughout for a sports bar atmosphere. You can rent clubs or bring your own, so swing by Sticks 96 Golf to find clubs suited to your specific needs.
- Get in touch with your artsy side with several different cultural options in Wichita. From visiting The Living Room, a kid-friendly area at the Wichita Art Museum, or taking a class at Mark Arts, learn a new artistic skill and appreciate others’ artistic abilities.
- You can also foster your own creativity at places like CityArts, The Enchanted Mermaid or Paint the Towne. Learn from a professional and leave with your own masterpiece. Browse the selection or blow your own art glass at Infinity Art Glass and Karg Art Glass. Create your own terrarium at GROW Giesen Plant Shop and capture playful pictures together at The Selfie Spot on Douglas.
- Wichita is a regional hot spot for both collegiate and professional sports. During the winter season, some of the hottest tickets in town are for a Wichita Thunder hockey game at INTRUST Bank Arena, a Wichita Wings soccer match or family-friendly event at Hartman Arena or to see the Wichita State Shockers men’s basketball team at Koch Arena.
- Check the schedule at INTRUST Bank Arena for exciting sports events for the entire family, from the Harlem Globetrotters to Monster Jam to Professional Bull Riding action.
- Be sure to check out the Visit Wichita calendar of events page to see what events are happening in Wichita during your stay.