To assist with public safety, please remain diligent in adhering to safe practices outlined by the CDC like wearing a face covering and social distancing when out in the community and stay home if you feel ill. We recommend confirming details and verifying requirements and/or safety procedures for guests before visiting a local shop, attraction, eatery or other business.
Wondering what to do in Wichita during the winter months? You don’t have to stay cooped up when it’s cold, rainy or too dark to be outdoors. There are plenty of indoor things to do in Wichita, and we’ve put together this list of some of our favorite places for extreme family fun!
- Axe throwing is a perfect activity for friends and family, and Wichita has two spots that hit the mark: Axe to Grind and Blade & Timber. Children 10 and older are allowed to join in, though minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Challenge your rock climbing skills at Wichita’s only full-service indoor rock-climbing gym. Bliss Climbing and Fitness has a 38-foot top-rope and lead climbing wall, auto belays and a 16-foot bouldering wall.
- Sport shooting enthusiasts and those looking to try a new hobby or learn some self-defense methods, head out to the Range 54 indoor shooting facility. All shooters must be at least 10 years old and accompanied by an adult 21 or older.
- Burn off some energy at the 30,000-square-foot indoor Urban Air Trampoline Park.
- Whether you’re in east or west Wichita, spend some time on the lanes. Northrock Lanes offers 48 lanes and West Acres Bowl has 36 lanes at its bowling complex.
- From figure skating to ice hockey, the Wichita Ice Center offers lessons, events and open skate sessions for all skill levels.
- Sharpen your skills by completing a variety of drills and training opportunities at Rainier Firearm Academy.
- Go-karts, laser tag, arcade fun and more: check out the variety of options at All Star Adventures on the east side of Wichita and All Star Sports in west Wichita.
- Bowl at one of 32 lanes or hop on the indoor electric go-kart track at The Alley Indoor Entertainment. With a family-friendly arcade, escape rooms, a virtual reality game, pool tables and a sports bar, this facility is your one-stop-shop for indoor family fun.
- Head out to one of seven Greater Wichita YMCA locations (Andover, Downtown, East, North, Northwest, South, West) for jam-packed fitness and fun all under one roof, from sports courts and swimming to fitness and exercise equipment.
- The massive sporting facility at Wichita Sports Forum offers courts for volleyball and basketball, sand volleyball courts, an indoor turf field for soccer and other sports, batting cages and an extreme indoor trampoline park, Aviate.
Fun & Games
- Get your heart pumping by playing pickleball on the indoor courts at Chicken N Pickle, or head to their game room to play ping pong.
- Play hundreds of arcade games at Dave & Buster’s.
- If your family is all 21+, you’ll enjoy Headshots Bar & Grill and their more than 1,000 video games and 500 board games.
- Use your creativity for an hour of fun, teamwork and family bonding by finding clues together to “escape” The Room - Wichita.
- Spend time exploring some of Wichita’s museums, which provide access to interactive exhibits, hands-on experiences and endless fun whether you’re interested in art, history, science or something else.
Wichita is a regional hot spot for both collegiate and professional sports. During the winter season, some of the hottest tickets in town are for a Wichita Thunder hockey game at INTRUST Bank Arena, a Wichita Wings soccer match or family-friendly event at Hartman Arena or to see the Wichita State Shockers men’s basketball team at Koch Arena.
Check the schedule at INTRUST Bank Arena for exciting sports events for the entire family, from the Harlem Globetrotters to Monster Jam to NCAA basketball regional action.
Be sure to check out the Visit Wichita calendar of events page to see what events are happening in Wichita during your stay.