To assist with public safety, please remain diligent in adhering to safe practices outlined by the CDC like wearing a face covering and social distancing when out in the community and stay home if you feel ill. We recommend confirming details and verifying requirements and/or safety procedures for guests before visiting a local shop, attraction, eatery or other business.
Even though Wichita is fortunate to have more than 200 days of sunshine annually, the weather can be somewhat spontaneous. Thankfully, our amazing city is full of fun things to do no matter the weather!
We’ve created this list of the top things to do on rainy days and during winter’s cold temperatures.
Attractions & Museums
- Feed your curiosity about the origin of Pizza Hut at The Original Pizza Hut Museum on the Wichita State University campus
- While you’re on the WSU campus, stop by the Ulrich Museum of Art to see modern and contemporary artwork on display
- Explore the traveling and permanent exhibits at Exploration Place, where fun and imagination intersect
- Tour one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s masterpieces, the Frank Lloyd Wright's Allen House Museum and Study Center
- See ancient artifacts like shrunken heads, dinosaur fossils and even one of the most complete T. rex in the world at the Museum of World Treasures, or put on a show at Ivan’s Playhouse
- See why Wichita soars as the Air Capital of the World at the Kansas Aviation Museum and the B-29 Doc Hangar and Education Center
- Dive into the history of African American arts and culture at The Kansas African American Museum
- Explore Native American heritage and learn about the artist behind the Keeper of the Plains at the Mid-America All-Indian Museum
- View inspirational works of art by American artists at the Wichita Art Museum, and don’t miss one of the best museum gift stores
- Find out all the fun facts about Wichita at the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
- Walk through the history of sports in our great state at the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame (by appointment only; call to set up a visit)
- Explore the indoor museum at Great Plains Nature Center to learn about Kansas wildlife and native habitats
Performing Arts & Theaters
- Get a healthy dose of laughter at The Loony Bin, Wichita’s premier comedy club
- Enjoy dinner and a show at Mosley Street Melodrama or Roxy’s Downtown
- Check the schedules at Wichita’s performing arts venues and troupes
- Catch a first-run film or a screening of a classic movie at one of Wichita’s theaters
- Choose from a variety of classes and workshops at Mark Arts, including ceramics, culinary, dance, digital arts, drawing, jewelry/metalsmithing, painting and more
- Classes vary from glass blowing and fusing to photography and photo editing at CityArts
- See hand-blown glass sculptures being created at Infinity Art Glass and book an appointment for a demonstration or tour
- View hand-blown art glass being created and find unique artworks in the gift gallery at Karg Art Glass
- Hone your wood sign-making skills with classes or take-home kits from Board & Brush
- Paint the Towne has everything you need for a fun guided painting experience. They also have to-go kits that you can take home to create your own masterpiece
Sports & Entertainment
- Catch a game—from Wichita Thunder professional hockey to Wichita Force indoor football, Wichita offers spectator sports year-round
- Wichita Sports Forum offers leagues, classes, camps and open play on indoor fields and courts across a variety of sports
- Experience awesome indoor arcades along with other indoor activities ranging from a rock-climbing wall to laser tag and billiards at All Star Sports, All Star Adventures, The Alley Indoor Entertainment and Dave & Buster’s
- Grab your 21+ pod and enjoy more than 1,000 video games and 500 board games at Headshots Bar & Grill
- Beginner to competitive thrower, all skill levels are welcome at Axe to Grind and Blade & Timber
- Work against the clock by solving problems and decoding puzzles to try to escape at The Room
- Get your heart pumping by playing pickleball on the indoor courts at Chicken N Pickle or catching some air at Urban Air Trampoline Park and Aviate inside Wichita Sports Forum
- Go bowling at Northrock Lanes, West Acres Bowl and The Alley Indoor Entertainment
- Visit a shooting and training center: Range 54 has climate-controlled shooting bays with turning targets and Rainier Arms Firearms Academy is Wichita’s largest gun range with 27,000 square feet.
- Scale a 38-foot top-rope and lead climbing wall or a 16-foot bouldering wall at Bliss Climbing & Fitness
- Ice skate at the indoor Wichita Ice Center
Visit our webpage on indoor family fun for more ideas. When you’re building your itinerary, make time to grab brunch from one of Wichita’s more than 1,200 eateries or swing by one of Wichita’s breweries, taprooms and wineries.