If you are at downtown Wichita’s INTRUST Bank Arena for a concert or a sporting event, like the 2018 first and second rounds of the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, you will have plenty of choices for a great meal. There are excellent food options inside the arena, including outlets of several local restaurants, and you’re within walking distance of a smorgasbord of eateries.
We’ve already covered Wichita sports bars within walking distance of INTRUST Bank Arena, so if dining while not missing a game is important, head over to that blog post. In this post we’re going to focus on other restaurant styles that are within a mile walking distance. You can also travel by free trolley, Bike Share ICT or a short drive in your own vehicle or a ride-hailing service.
Here are some of our favorite downtown Wichita restaurants, listed from closest to furthest from the arena:
- Old Mill Tasty Shop – sandwiches, chili, Mexican dishes, chicken fry, blue plate specials, along with drinks and ice cream served from one of the most complete vintage fountains still in use in the area. The long-running restaurant opened in 1932.
- Café Bel Ami – chef-owned bistro serving French Mediterranean cuisine. This long-established restaurant serves lunch and dinner, including appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches and beef, chicken, lamb and seafood entrées.
- Bite Me BBQ – sandwiches and dinners featuring on-site smoked sliced beef brisket, ribs, pulled pork, turkey, spicy hotlinks, prime rib dinners and more. Full bar available.
- Norton's Brewing Company – opening in February 2018 with a full menu of burgers, sandwiches, salads and funnel cakes, in addition to tasty craft beer from the long-time master brewer at River City Brewing Co. Expect a family-friendly vibe with room for live entertainment and oversized lawn games.
- Siena Tuscan Steakhouse Restaurant – all-day sophisticated dining available on the ground floor of the Ambassador Hotel Wichita. Menu features the cuisine of Tuscany in soups, salads, sandwiches, housemade pastas, flatbreads and inventive entrées using locally sourced proteins and vegetables. Siena Tuscan is a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence winner.
- The Kitchen – housed in what was once the baggage claim building for Union Station, the menu is inspired by the French-trained chef. Shared plates, soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and a wide variety of entrées. Their meats are all-natural, nitrate-free with no soy fillers or starch modifiers. They also prepare hearty vegetarian meals and can work with your specific dietary needs. A full bar serves specialty cocktails, wine and local craft beers.
- Harvest Kitchen | Bar – the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus are farm to table at Harvest Kitchen | Bar inside the Hyatt Regency Wichita. The menu is full of dishes using seasonal, locally grown produce and grains and local meat and dairy products. Don’t miss their happy hour 5-7 p.m. Monday–Friday for half-price select appetizers and drink specials.
- Public at the Brickyard – features craft beer and simple local foods in a unique setting on the bottom floor of a restored warehouse. Lunch and dinner menus include appetizers, salads, sandwiches, pizza, tacos, burgers, steak, seafood, pasta and more.
- Larkspur Bistro & Bar – serving upscale culinary creations including Mediterranean, French, Italian and American dishes. Full bar and live music on weekend nights.
- Playa Azul – specializing in the best traditional dishes of the central area of Mexico. Plus, margaritas and a full bar!
- District Taqueria – authentic street tacos made using house-marinated and roasted meats, from-scratch salsas and locally made tortillas. Full bar and happy hour available.
- The Anchor – known for craft cocktails, homestyle gastropub menu and an ever-changing selection of 59 craft beers on tap in an unpretentious setting. The Anchor's distinctive take on traditional bar fare includes appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers and entrées.
- AVI Seabar & Chophouse – lunch and dinner served inside the historic Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview. AVI’s menu centers on Certified Angus Beef and fresh seafood delivered daily. They serve salads, sandwiches and entrées, and their second-story bar serves wine, beer and signature cocktails.
- Blue Fin Sake Bar & Sushi – the atmosphere here works for grabbing sushi for lunch, sampling a sake flight during happy hour or enjoying a romantic dinner. The menu showcases specialty, signature and classic sushi rolls but has something for everyone, including hot appetizers, soups, salads and Japanese entrées such as hibachi and tempura dishes. Kids items, desserts, full bar and two daily happy hours available.
- B&C Barbeque – this lunch-only spot is open Monday-Saturday serving a barbecue buffet. It’s a favorite among locals for the tasty BBQ that’s served all-you-can-eat style with all the fixins and a salad bar.
INTRUST Bank Arena also is in walking distance to several fast food options, including Wendy’s, Spangles, Subway, Quiznos, Sonic and McDonald’s.
Click here to see more Wichita restaurants; there are more 1,000 across the city from food trucks to fine dining!
For more blogs about things to down while in downtown Wichita, see below:
Six spots to watch sports near Wichita's INTRUST Bank Arena
Where to shop when downtown at an INTRUST Bank Arena event
Five outdoor activities near INTRUST Bank Arena
Six indoor activities near INTRUST Bank Arena
History of NCAA and Wichita's connection
Free and nearly free activities within 10 minutes of INTRUST Bank Arena
What to do inside INTRUST Bank Arena
Mark your calendar now for free Open Practice Day at INTRUST Bank Arena
Don't miss Fan Fest in downtown Wichita
For the answers to all your NCAA Tournament questions, click here.