If you are at downtown Wichita’s INTRUST Bank Arena for a concert or a sporting event, like a Thunder Hockey game or the 2022 regional rounds of the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship, you will have plenty of choices for a great meal.
There are excellent food options inside the arena, including outlets of several local restaurants, and you’re within walking distance of a smorgasbord of eateries.
We’ve already covered Wichita sports bars within walking distance of INTRUST Bank Arena, so if dining while not missing a game is important, head over to that blog post. In this post we’re going to focus on other restaurant styles that are within a mile walking distance. You can also travel by free trolley, Bike Share ICT or a short drive in your own vehicle or a ride-hailing service.
Here are some of our favorite downtown Wichita restaurants, listed from closest to farthest from the arena:
- Old Mill Tasty Shop – sandwiches, chili, Mexican dishes, chicken fry, blue plate specials, along with drinks and ice cream served from one of the most complete vintage fountains still in use in the area. The long-running restaurant opened in 1932.
- Café Bel Ami – chef-owned bistro serving French Mediterranean cuisine. This long-established restaurant serves lunch and dinner, including appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches and beef, chicken, lamb and seafood entrées.
- Bite Me BBQ – sandwiches and dinners featuring on-site smoked sliced beef brisket, ribs, pulled pork, turkey, spicy hotlinks, prime rib dinners and more. Full bar available.
- Nortons Brewing Company – full menu of burgers, sandwiches, salads and funnel cakes, in addition to tasty craft beer. Expect a family-friendly vibe, plenty of indoor seating and also room for live entertainment and oversized lawn games on the patio.
- Siena Tuscan Steakhouse Restaurant – sophisticated dining available on the ground floor of the Ambassador Hotel Wichita. Menu features the cuisine of Tuscany in soups, salads, sandwiches, housemade pastas, flatbreads and inventive entrées using locally sourced proteins and vegetables. Siena Tuscan is a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence winner.
- The Kitchen – housed in what was once the baggage claim building for Union Station, the menu is inspired by the French-trained chef. Shared plates, soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers and a wide variety of entrées. Their meats are all-natural, nitrate-free with no soy fillers or starch modifiers. They also prepare hearty vegetarian meals and can work with your specific dietary needs. A full bar serves specialty cocktails, wine and local craft beers.
- Harvest Kitchen | Bar – the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus are farm to table at Harvest Kitchen | Bar inside the Hyatt Regency Wichita. The menu is full of dishes using seasonal, locally grown produce and grains and local meat and dairy products.
- HomeGrown Wichita-Downtown – Stop in for a fresh meal at HomeGrown Wichita and you’ll leave happy – thanks to the delicious locally-sourced menu and the upbeat interior that reminds you to “bee kind” and “cultivate kindness.” Don’t leave without ordering their flaky, homemade poptarts!
- Jenny Dawn Cellars – You’ll certainly discover a variety of hand-crafted wines to love at this urban winery, and will also find a delicious menu of small bites, flat breads and paninis to choose from as well. Gather your group and stop in for delicious charcuterie, vino and more!
- PourHouse by Walnut River Brewing Company – In addition to a dozen beers on tap – all brewed in El Dorado, Kansas, at Walnut River Brewing Company – PourHouse features burgers, sandwiches, appetizers and salads. Make sure to try the Scotch Eggs and the Burgzilla!
- Larkspur Bistro & Bar – Located in the Old Town District, this restaurant impresses with its upscale cuisine. It’s a great option for lunch or dinner and provides a mix of Mediterranean, French, Italian and American dishes.
- Public – features craft beer and cocktails as well as simple, local foods in a unique setting on the bottom floor of a restored warehouse and on the cozy patio. Lunch and dinner menus include appetizers, salads, sandwiches, pizza, tacos, burgers, steak, seafood, pasta and more.
- Playa Azul – specializing in the best traditional dishes of the central area of Mexico. Plus, margaritas and a full bar!
- District Taqueria – authentic street tacos made using house-marinated and roasted meats, from-scratch salsas and locally made tortillas. Full bar and happy hour available.
- Meddys-Downtown – fresh, made-to-order, authentic Mediterranean appetizers, soups, salads, dishes and desserts. Full bar and welcoming patio to enjoy spirits and live music.
- The Anchor – known for craft cocktails, homestyle gastropub menu and an ever-changing selection of 59 craft beers on tap in an unpretentious setting. The Anchor's distinctive take on traditional bar fare includes appetizers, salads, mac n’ cheese, sandwiches, burgers and entrées.
- AVI Seabar & Chophouse – lunch and dinner served inside the historic Drury Plaza Hotel Broadview. AVI’s menu centers on Certified Angus Beef and fresh seafood delivered daily. They serve salads, sandwiches and entrées, and their second-story bar serves wine, beer and signature cocktails.
- Sabor Latin Bar and Grille – Located in Wichita’s Old Town District, Sabor specializes in Latin American cuisine. Not only will you find flavorful tacos, paella, seafood and more on their menu, but will find sandwiches, soups and salads. Their handcrafted cocktails and house made sangria are also top notch!
- B&C Barbeque Pub and Grill – a favorite among locals for the tasty BBQ that’s served all-you-can-eat style with all the fixins, a salad bar and full bar.
- Monarch – Known for their vast selection of bourbon, whiskey, scotch and spirits, this eatery in the historic Delano District also specializes in sandwiches, filling appetizers, soups, salads and entrees like loaded mac & cheese.
- Delano Barbeque Company – live-fire barbecue, fresh-cut fries, made-to-order onion rings. Everything is made in-house, from their rubs, sauces and dressings to their sides like potato salad and cole slaw.
- Leslie Coffee Co. – coffee and espresso-based beverages, teas, house-made pastries and a unique food menu including avocado toast and overnight oats.
- Alzavino Wine Tavern – self-serve wine, shareable plates like charcuterie and bruschetta, flatbread and desserts.
Don’t need a full meal, but would love a hot cup of coffee or nearby watering hole? Hand-crafted coffee can be found near the arena at Sunflower Espresso, Paradise Donuts Old Town, Leslie Coffee Co., Placeholder Coffee, Il Primo Espresso Caffe-Epic Center, Espresso To Go Go and Cocoa Dolce - Downtown. Breweries you can walk to from the arena include Third Place Brewing, PourHouse by Walnut River Brewing Company, River City Brewing Co. and Nortons Brewing Co. For cocktails and wine, try Cana Wine and Cocktails, Dockum, Jenny Dawn Cellars, Lucky’s Everyday, Mort’s Martini & Cigar Bar and Alzavino Wine Tavern. Additionally, INTRUST Bank Arena is in walking distance to several fast-food options, including Wendy’s, Spangles, Subway, Sonic and McDonald’s.
Click here to see more Wichita restaurants; there are more than 1,000 across the city from food trucks to fine dining!