Wichita is a must-visit Midwest destination year-round, and wintertime is especially loaded with holiday activities and unique experiences. You’ll find plenty to do, whether you’re planning on indoor family fun or a romantic getaway.
There are Wichita hotels at every price point, and you’ll find affordable indoor attractions and diverse events for every interest. Read along to see how a vacation in the heart of the country can be a great destination for your winter break this November, December and January!
Wichita is where you’ll want to be for unlimited holiday fun, from holiday-themed pop-up bars to annual lighting events considered the best in the region. As we get closer to the holidays, we’ll have a plethora of blog posts guiding you on where to eat, drink and be merry this season.
You can count on annual traditions such as 2 million lights strung throughout 30+ themed gardens at Illuminations at Botanica Wichita, scheduled for Nov. 18 to Jan. 2; Victorian Christmas at Cowtown on Dec. 3-4 & 10-11; and the holiday tours at Frank Lloyd Wright's Allen House Museum and Study Center. There’s also Holly Jolly Jurassic Holiday at Field Station: Dinosaurs, The Arc’s Lights drive-thru light display and so many more unique holiday experiences.
Wichita is a sports city, and we’ve got just the ticket for you this winter:
- Wichita Thunder Hockey – Cheer on the home team at INTRUST Bank Arena where the Wichita Thunder Hockey take to the ice in all their ECHL glory. The regular season runs October to April.
- Wichita State Basketball – Head to Charles Koch Arena for a home game for Wichita State Shocker athletics. The men’s basketball games draw a loud crowd, making the roundhouse one of the arenas with the best home-court advantage according to ESPN.
Ready to burn off some energy? Try these options:
- Bowl at The Alley Indoor Entertainment, Northrock Lanes or West Acres Bowl.
- Bliss Climbing & Fitness Complex – With auto-belay the whole family can enjoy this safe, fun, challenging activity together. There is a 38-foot climbing wall and a 15-foot bouldering wall at this state of the art indoor facility.
- Urban Air Trampoline Park – Jump into the fun of an indoor trampoline park at this 30,000-square-foot facility with its own space for the little kids.
- Wichita Ice Center – Skate indoors with family and friends on Olympic and NHL-regulation ice.
- Wichita Sports Forum – With six basketball courts, 10 hardwood volleyball and six sand volleyball courts, an indoor soccer field, eight batting cages and a 32,000-square-foot indoor trampoline park called “Aviate,” Wichita Sports Forum is the perfect place to get active this winter.
Head to an arcade or have a friendly competition at one of these attractions:
- Solve puzzles and riddles as you try to find your way out of The Room-Wichita.
- Blade & Timber / Axe to Grind – Swing axes at targets in a friendly competition with your family or friends. Check each facility’s age restrictions.
- Chicken N Pickle – Play pickle ball, bocce ball, shuffleboard or table tennis while enjoying delicious chicken fare.
- Find arcades and other indoor games at: All Star Adventures, All Star Sports, The Alley Indoor Entertainment and Dave & Buster’s.
- Sedgwick County Zoo is running Wild Lights, a display of larger-than-life Asian lantern sculptures, on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings Oct. 1 through Dec. 5.
- Exploration Place brings a space lab full of science fun with the traveling exhibition “Astronaut,” running Oct. 1 through Jan. 2.
- Learn about the genesis of the world’s most popular musical instrument in the special exhibition “Turn It Up to 90! - the 90th anniversary of the Electric Guitar and its World Debut from Wichita,” at the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum.
- See an exhibit highlighting the work of photographer, filmmaker and painter Gordon Parks at The Kansas African American Museum.
- Find even more to enjoy at Wichita's museums and galleries in this blog post of Wichita's Newest Exhibits.
Wichita is a year-round regional shopping destination, and we’ve also got special shopping experiences:
- Christmas Open House at Urban Interiors – Nov. 4
- First Friday Gallery Crawl in Downtown Wichita – Nov. 5
- 2nd Saturday in Douglas Design District, Delano, Downtown, & Old Town – Nov. 13 & Dec. 11
- Old Town Farm and Art Market - Holiday Season at Farm & Art Plaza – Nov. 6, 13, 20 & Dec. 4, 11, 18
- Paramount Christmas Holiday Open Houses at Paramount Marketplace, Paramount Antique Mall and Paramount East Antique Mall – Nov. 12
- Small Business Saturday 2021 at various locations – Nov. 27
- Indian Art Market at Mid-America All-Indian Museum – Dec. 4
From music and comedic performances to holiday shows, the calendar is filling up this winter. The Wichita performing arts scene surprises many with its variety and quality, and welcomes an impressive collection of performing arts in the Midwest.
A sample of upcoming events and venues:
- Lil Baby and Friends at INTRUST Bank Arena – Nov. 6
- Music Theatre Wichita’s Composer at the Keys at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center – Nov. 7
- Wichita State University Wind Ensemble in concert at Wichita State University Miller Concert Hall – Nov. 11
- Black Stone Cherry at Temple Live Wichita – Nov. 12
- Air Capital Comic Con 2021 at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center – Nov. 13
- The Hallmark Channel Christmas Melodrama at Mosley Street Melodrama – Nov. 13-Dec. 23
- Away in the Basement - A Church Basement Ladies Musical at Roxy’s Downtown – Nov. 18-Dec. 19
- Cool Yule - A Swingin' Christmas at The Forum Theatre Company – Nov. 26-Dec. 19
- Broadway in Wichita’s STOMP - The International Sensation at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center – Nov. 26-27
- Bob Saget at Orpheum Theatre – Dec. 2
- Inverno - The Great Holiday Circus at Crown Uptown Theatre – Dec. 3
- Flatland Cavalry at WAVE – Dec. 3
- The Price Is Right Live - Stage Show at Hartman Arena – Dec. 4
- Eli Young Band at The Cotillion – Dec. 11
- Summer - The Donna Summer Musical at Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center – Dec. 14
- Lindsey Buckingham Live at Orpheum Theatre – Dec. 18
Upcoming Wichita Events
Wichita has something happening every night. When booking your winter getaway to Wichita, be sure to visit our event calendar for the latest options.
Deals & Discounts
Take advantage of the deals and discounts offered by Visit Wichita through our Explore Card program. Wichita is an affordable destination, but you can stretch your vacation dollars even further by picking up an Explore Card at our offices or one of 14 participating partners. Explore our itineraries or customize your own experience with our Trip Planner.