Looking for ideas on what to do in Wichita for Mother’s Day this year? Here are suggestions to inspire you, from where to find gifts for mom to ways to spend time with her over the Mother’s Day weekend, May 12-14.
Browsing bikes at Twister City Harley-Davidson
Shopping With Mom
Mother’s Day falls on the second weekend of the month, which coincides with Wichita’s 2nd Saturday – a day to find exclusive discounts at locally‐owned businesses within Douglas Design District, Downtown, Historic Delano and Old Town. For example, at The Workroom you can get 15% off local art and gifts and also explore the other small businesses located at Cleveland Corner; learn more about this hot spot by reading our blog post.
Make it a full day of shopping, starting with the Saturday morning farmers markets before heading to special shopping events and markets listed in the events section below or exploring Wichita’s many shopping centers and local boutiques. Discover treasures at our variety of unique shops, from estate home furnishings at The Vault Collection to architectural salvaged elements at Uniquities Home plus antiques, vintage and repurposed items at Generations Antiques and Artisans, , Paramount Antique Mall, Paramount East Antique Mall and Paramount Marketplace - Antiques, Vintage and New.
Shopping for shoes at Fartleks
Shopping For Mom
If you’re not able to shop with mom, Wichita has many local specialty stores to shop for mom.
Find a wide selection of goods from local and regional makers at The Loud Cicada and Clifton Collective plus bath and body products at Bungalow 26, jewelry and apparel at Lucinda’s and Aida Stenholm and hats at Hatman Jack’s, to name just a few!
Cultivate her hobby with a gift certificate or items from The Sewing Center, Twister City Harley-Davidson, kitchen and food gifts at Viva La Olive, outdoor living necessities at All Things Barbecue, running gear at Fartleks and plants and plant accessories at GROW Giesen Plant Shop.
Relaxing at A. Jay Health and Wellness
Helping Mom Relax
Schedule a day of pampering and relaxation – or pick up products that will give her an excuse to spend time on self-care – at The Health Connection, The Health Connection - East, Bohemia Healing Spa East, Bohemia Healing Spa Delano and A. Jay Health and Wellness.
Bring her a bottle of wine from Grace Hill Winery or a growler of locally crafted goodness from one of our breweries and cideries. For non-alcoholic options, pick up a kombucha tea from Apollo Fermentations or a bag of gourmet coffee roast or specialty tea from the The Spice Merchant & Company. Micro-roaster Local Roasters also has a storefront to sell their coffees, or stop by one of our many coffee shops.
Sipping sweets at Old Mill Tasty Shop
Splurging on Sweet Treats for Mom
From ice cream parlors to chocolate shops, popcorn makers and gourmet bakeries, have fun finding the perfect treat to satisfy mom’s sweet tooth in Wichita.
Order in advance from Cocoa Dolce Chocolates (Downtown, East and West) for pick up or take mom into one of their sweet lounges for an indulgent treat. Find more sweet and savory treats at Nifty Nut House, Kernel’s Popcorn Express and The Popcorner (East and West).
Hands-on Creativity at CityArts
Creating With Mom
Take a class together at Rayer's Bearden Stained Glass, Senseney Music or Paint the Towne. CityArts, Mark Arts and a number of Wichita museums also offer classes and workshops in a variety of mediums. You’ll find culinary classes at The Kitchen, Mark Arts as well as Viola’s Pantry and All Things Barbecue, both of which also carry giftable cooking necessities.
See exotic animals at Tanganyika Wildlife Park
Exploring With Mom
Bramble Café, the picturesque outdoor café at Elderslie Farm, opens for the season on Mother’s Day. Record your day together by booking slots at The Selfie Spot on Douglas, where you can pose at more than a dozen Instagram-worthy photo booths.
Check out this blog post on the latest exhibitions at Wichita museums and attractions, or take advantage of some Mother’s Day weekend deals.
- Moms get into Botanica Wichita free on Mother’s Day and they will have special crafts, games and other activities including on-site food trucks.
- Moms also get in free at the Sedgwick County Zoo on May 14 with an additional paid admission.
- Everyone is free on Sundays at Old Cowtown Museum as well as the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum.
- General admission at the Wichita Art Museum, home to one of the largest collections of American art in the region, is free every day. Plus, May 14 is your last chance to see their temporary exhibition “Isabelle de Borchgrave: Fashioning Art from Paper” (note that it carries an extra admission fee).
Mother's Day at Fulton Valley Farms
Attending a Special Event
Sometimes the best gift is time. Build your celebration around spending time together at one of these Wichita events happening during Mother’s Day weekend. If you want to take it up a notch, book a limo for transportation!
- May 4-July 15 – Susan Copich’s “Staged Stories” exhibition at Ulrich Museum of Art
- May 11-13 – Wichita Children’s Theatre & Dance Center presents “Chicken Little” at Crown Uptown
- May 12 – Mother's Day Celebration at Aida Stenholm
- May 12 – mamafilm’s Fabric & Film series: “Purple Rain” film screening and discussion with special guest Nina Winter of TISSU Sewing Studio at Wichita Art Museum
- May 12 – Coheed and Cambria Neverender: NWFTWM at The Cotillion
- May 12 – Nostalgia at Brickyard
- May 13-June 24 – “Voices and Votes: Democracy in America,” “The American Indian Vote” and “Celebrating the Centennial of the 19th Amendment: Women Vote” at The Mid-America All-Indian Museum
- May 13 – Tacos & Tequila festival at Wichita Boathouse
- May 13 – Spring Fling Mother's Day Event at Fulton Valley Farms
- May 13 – Shine Dance Fitness class for ages 8 and older at Naftzger Park
- May 13 – Midwest R&B Fest at Orpheum Theatre
- May 13 – Comedian Josh Wolf at TempleLive
- May 13 – Paul Bogart at Wichita Union Stockyards
- May 13 – Kansas Grown! Farmers Market at Sedgwick County Extension Office
- May 13 – Kansas Grown! Derby Farmers Market at Madison Avenue Central Park in Derby
- May 13 – Old Town Farm & Art Market at Farm & Art Plaza
- May 13 – Outdoor Vintage Flea Market at Paramount East Antique Mall
- May 13 – "Give 'Em Hell, Harry!" live performance featuring Harry Truman’s grandson Clifton Truman Daniel at Roxy’s Downtown
- May 13-14 – “Sweet Music Man: The Words & Music of Kenny Rogers” presented by The Forum Theatre Company at Wilke Center
- May 14 – Mother’s Day Celebration at Botanica Wichita
- May 14 – Mother’s Day at the Zoo at Sedgwick County Zoo
- May 14 – 2nd annual Mother/Daughter Tea Party with the Princesses presented by Happily Ever After Parties-Wichita at Old Cowtown Museum
- May 14 – Brunch & Bingo at Chicken N Pickle
- May 14 – Second Sunday Drag Brunch at Roxy’s Downtown
- ongoing through May 13 – “Hard Times & Mary Dingle’s Mercantile” at Mosley Street Melodrama
- ongoing through May 14 – "Isabelle de Borchgrave: Fashioning Art from Paper" at Wichita Art Museum
- ongoing through May 20 – Micala Gingrich Gaylord: “Love Is Memory” at Ulrich Museum of Art
- ongoing through May 25 – “Gaze: Power and Politics” at Mark Arts
- ongoing through May 31 – “The Thunderbolt Siren” at Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
- ongoing through June 18 – “Wichita Wore What? A Century of Local Fashion” exhibition at Wichita Art Museum
- ongoing through June 30 – “Art Deco on the Plains" at Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
- ongoing through July 28 – "Masterpiece Relief for the Blind" exhibition at Envision Arts Gallery and Engagement Center
- ongoing through Oct. 31 – “Why We Collect What We Collect” at Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
For more events and experiences, check out our calendar of events.